Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Orlando Massacre

Here is my view of the Orlando massacre:

It was an unprovoked, horrible, gruesome, bloody assault inflicted by one man on many other human beings. It was a glaring instance of life-denying behavior that has inflicted far-reaching trauma on countless others.

Then it was glorified by all outlets of media, including social media. I want to minimize my participation in glorifying it by giving it more attention. Instead I want to draw attention to what I believe is a life-affirming solution.

Some say that the solution to such violence is stricter gun control. I disagree.

I believe a since of divine favor, dominance, violence, and bloodshed are dominant and dominating themes in American culture. These themes the founding Northern Europeans, that include my ancestors, brought with them. The United States of America was founded and is maintained by this Christo-European sense of divine favor, dominance, violence and blood shed.

We are hypocrites to the degree that we feel horrified by violence done to those we consider "us" and justified in inflicting it on those we consider "them."

The solution to the problem is for us to renounce our Christo-European values of divine favor, dominance, violence, and bloodshed and change how we view not just human beings, but all living beings. When we see and value all living beings as "us", related, kindred, with valuable lives to live, then we will begin to do great, life-affirming things together, things that now we only dream of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment