Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Great Mystery of Death, Part 2

Death: The Crust of Earth

Former rocks, plants, and animals, including humans, make the crust of this global grave yard on which we live. It's a crust of death.

Death supports life. All of the dead feed all of the living.

Life supports death. All of the living feed the crust of death.

What does it mean to die? Is dying the act of giving life?

The living kill. We share in the violence of death. We force deposits into the crust of this global grave yard.

Why? Why do we kill each other? Why all the death? Is it to feed life?

4 comments:

  1. Nature forces death to keep the proper balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading and enjoying your series of excellent blog posts on The Great Mysteries. You raise many thought-provoking questions. Indeed, your observations and questions started me thinking in a number of different directions, particularly with regard to the Mystery of Death.

    One of the points I took from your writing is that everything dies. As you know, I am healer who works with the energies of stones and crystals to facilitate healing. Here’s the nub of it. I’m struggling with your observation that the Earth’s shell is a crust of death. Indeed, the uppermost layer of crust does hold whatever remains of humans, other animals and plants.

    I wonder about dead rocks, though. Each stone, no matter how small the particle, contains the energetic signature of the elements of which it was formed. For me, rocks, or perhaps minerals if you prefer, don’t die in the same sense that animals and vegetables do. The elements of which they are comprised have half-lives which can be measured—think carbon dating, for example.

    I’m certainly no scientist, however as I understand this, minerals transmute their form. Is it possible then that they retain their original spirit? That if spirit is that which makes us (and them) alive, then they are still and always alive? See, you’ve got me thinking about the immortality of rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great observations and questions, Sara. I actually have the same questions with regard to plants and animals, including us humans. I wonder if there is a both/and kind of thing going: Do we all both die and live on in some way? I don't know. My question is answered with silence. So, I wonder.

      Delete