Friday, January 17, 2014

Spirit Essentials, Part 1: Define Spirit for Yourself

It is essential to have a definition of spirit.

I recommend that you develop your own definitions, descriptions, and images of spirit rather than borrow them from someone else.

First, answer this question for yourself: What is spirit? Write your current understanding of what spirt is. It doesn't have to be your final word or even polished. It's a place to begin. Your answer will probably change over time as you learn more about spirit.

Second, imagine spirit. How does spirit sound, look, smell, feel, and taste? What is it like? What images come to mind? Is it always the same or does it change? What happens when something or someone who was spirited no longer is? 

Third, do some reading on the meaning of the word "spirit". Start with a few dictionaries. Explore the meanings of words that contain spirit. Explore, for example, the meanings of aspire, conspire, dispirit, expire, inspire, transpire, and esprit de corps. 

Study the etymology of the word. Find out if there are equivalents in other languages. 

Study related words like soul, mind, energy, and consciousness. Are these different words for the same thing or do these words refer to different things?

Next, rewrite your definition of spirit in light of what you have learned so far. Again, understand that as you learn more your definitions, descriptions, and images will change.

Now you are a thumonaut, an explorer of spirit.

4 comments:

  1. As I read your blog and this post in particular, I am reminded that one of the little known "definitions" of the word genius is its Roman usage--animated spirit. So for me, we are each a genius; each possessing our own animated spirit.

    This is an important part of what spirit means to me, and I suspect it will inform my ongoing explorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, thanks for bringing up the subject of genius and its meaning in ancient Roman usage. I too think that a consideration of genius has an important place in a discussion of spirit.

    In my current view, I do not equate spirit and genius rather I equate genius with an ally spirit. However, I am not totally commited to my view because I haven't studied genius enough to reach a conclusion.

    Have you done any research on how a person's genius might be related to their muse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no expert on Roman usage or history, for that matter, and my own understanding of this concept is limited to slight reading. That being said, I understand why you would equate genius with an ally spirit rather than spirit itself. I have found it hard to tease out precise meaning of this term, and have read explanations that are vastly different.

    I have not found anything that speaks directly to how a person's genius is related to muse. Could you clarify if you mean "muse" in the general sense of, for lack of better terms, "inspiration" or "guidance"? Or are you speaking specifically of the Muses? Some of the references will say that each person's genius is a specific deity or combination of deities.

    What led me to equate genius with spirit was the notion that everything had its own genius--each person, each piece/part of nature, each place. Place was said to have or was referred to as a genius locii, I believe. To me, this suggested the uniqueness of spirit. There are also other tantalizing bits--depictions of unnamed individual geniuses for example which also imparted a sense of uniqueness.

    I may research this more. Right now it strikes me like much in ancient history--we view it from our own vantage point and try to make sense of the concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I appreciate you sharing what you're learning about genius.

      Please keep t coming! It's certainly relevant in my view and very interesting too.

      Delete