Sunday, November 16, 2014

Goddesses, Gods, and Spirit, Part Two: What I Believe

When it comes to the existence of goddesses, gods, and other beings invisible to us humans, I describe my current perspective as that of an optimistic agnostic believer: I'm an agnostic because I do not know with certainty that goddesses, gods, and other such beings exist. I'm optimistic because I have good reasons for believing that they do exist. I'm a believer because I think it is reasonable for me to believe that such beings exist and I chose to do so. Here's why:

There's More Than Our Human Eyes Can See

First, I believe it is possible that divine and other beings invisible to us humans exist because I know that our physical senses are limited in their abilities. For example. our field of vision is within a very narrow energy range. It's between approximately 400 and 790 THz (terahertz). We cannot see in the ultraviolet range below 400 THz. Neither can we see in the infrared range  above 790 THz. Moreover, we cannot see gamma rays, microwaves, radio waves, x-rays or anything else outside our visual range.

Using microscopes we can see very small and otherwise invisible forms of life . But we do not yet have macroscopes with which we can see very large and otherwise invisible forms of life. I think it is reasonable to believe that there is much more that exists in the universe than what we are now able to see with either our unaided or aided eyes. I think it is reasonable to believe that living invisible beings that have been called goddesses, gods, angels, deamons, fates, geniuses, and other names exist. Why not?

The Weight of Testimony

Secondly, the testimony recorded throughout history and currently in the world today bearing witness to direct encounters with such beings carries weight with me. Reports of direct experiences with goddess, gods, angels (messengers), evil spirits, and other invisible beings are common throughout historical records and in the world today. Indeed, I am among those who bear such witness. 

A Conceptual Framework

Thirdly, Henri Corbin's article,  Mundus Imaginalis*in which he articulated the differences between the imaginary and the imaginal, provides a conceptual framework for me to believe in the existence of goddesses, gods, other invisible beings, and other realms. 

So, when asked if I believe that goddesses, gods, and other invisible beings exist, I say, "Yes, I do and I am optimistic about one day developing our technologies that help us better know and communicate with them." In order to develop such technologies in the West, we will have to further shed the materialistic view of the universe that still dominates our culture.

* http://www.bahaistudies.net/asma/mundus_imaginalis.pdf

Part three of this series will present my current view on whether or not goddesses and gods are eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment