Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Goal of Thumotic Spirituality

The goal of thumotic spirituality is the process of living from our spirit so that we fulfill the life-affirming desires of our heart. As we fulfill the life-affirming desires of our heart, we fulfill the purpose of our life. We become who we are meant to become. 

In thumotic spirituality, the Ancient Greek understanding of thumos informs our understanding of spirit. Our spirit is that which makes us alive. It is quasi-physical. We feel it in the center of our chest. It is associated with our thymus gland. We often call it our heart. It is the seat of our emotions and has its own way of knowing that differs from that of our mind.

The life-affirming desires of our heart show us the purpose of our life. They show us our way. They are our way. As we live from and fulfill the life-affirming desires of our heart, we naturally become who we are meant to become. We naturally do what we're supposed to do. As we fulfill the life-affirming desires of our heart, we naturally fulfill the purpose of our life.

May we be engaged in the meaningful and challenging work of attending to, knowing, and fulfilling the life-affirming desires of our heart.

4 comments:

  1. I have always been drawn to your phrase "life-affirming desires of our heart". For me, it speaks directly to what it is that I desire and wish to pursue over the course of my life. It causes me to consider whether what I am pursuing comes from my heart or has been imposed from some external source.

    I'm fairly accomplished at identifying these for myself. Still, I hope you will at some point write more about knowing those life-affirming desires; being able to separate them from the culture's definitions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, thanks for your comment. Yes, in response to your comment I will say more about identifying the life-affirming desires of our heart. I hope you'll say more about how you have developed your ability to identify yours.

    Do you think there can be times when it can be life-affirming for us to collectiviley share deisres and the effort to fulfill them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might sound trite, however whenever I find myself completely wrapped up in what I'm doing, I know that's something that matters to me. It can be a good book, or preserving the bounty delivered by my CSA, or practicing healing with Reiki, Stones and Crystals or shamanic work. I also know who I enjoy spending time with, and consider it a life-affirming desire to spend time with those I care about and love.

    Now, about your second question. . .yes, I do think there are times when collective sharing and effort to fulfill is completely appropriate. I think this happens when two or more people share a common goal or desired outcome. There are a great many of us (at least I hope so) who wish to find positive and proactive ways to care for the earth. Finding others who see the world as I do and working with them to preserve land, save wolves, and understand and adapt to climate change is important and life-affirming. It is also life-affirming to know others who share my beliefs and ideas about spirit. It makes me feel less singular and alone.

    What about you? Do you think there are times when it's life-affirming to collectively share desires and efforts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, thanks for sharing how you know when you are fulfilling the life-affirming desires of your heart.

    Yes, I agree that we can collectively share life-affirming desires and work together to fulfill them. Just this morning I facilitated a holistic health discussion group. We meet each month with a collective desire for health and well-being. We share information and support each other in our efforts. That's just one example. I'm sure there are countless eaxamples out there of floks coming together arounf shared life-affirming diesires and working together to fulfill them.

    I believe that there is a strength in numbers not always found in our individual efforts.

    ReplyDelete