Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What I Believe: The Thumotics Manifesto, Part 3

For the Ancient Greeks, thumos was not limited to humans. Thumos animated  goddesses, gods and other spiritual beings. It animated animals and plants, especially trees. It animated mountains, valleys, and caves; rivers and springs; the four winds and every living being 

Thumos was often translated into Latin by the word "spiritus", from which we get the word "spirit." It is the Ancient Greek understanding of thumos that informs what I mean by spirit. Spirit is that which animates and makes alive.

I believe in and deeply value spirit. It animates all living beings. I call on others who believe in and deeply value spirit to join with me in promoting the importance of spirit. It is essential to life. It is life. 

I believe that as we promote the importance of spirit, we will make this world a better place for all living beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment