Monday, January 21, 2013

The Inherent Eroticism of Spirit

Spirit, that which animates, is life itself. Some believe life is inherently eternal. I do not know how they can know if it is or isn't. All I know is what I myself see and what rings true in my heart.

As far as I can see the spirited, living universe always has been. I do not see a time when it was not. I cannot imagine a time when there was nothing and then there was the universe. That might say more about me than the universe.

As far as I can see the spirited universe is infinite. I cannot imagine anything outside of or beyond the universe of which I know. The universe is everything that is. Regardless of what "everything" actually is, the word I use to name it is the universe.

It also seems to me that the spirited universe is potentially eternal. I say potentially because I do not think life is inherently eternal. What I see is spirit, life itself, sustaining itself by its own inherent eroticism.

Life is erotic. In flowers, trees, birds and all animals, including us humans I see the spirit of the female desiring to receive and join with the male. I see the spirit of the male desiring to penetrate and join with the female. They naturally attract and are attracted to each other. In their erotic union seed is planted and life, spirit, sustains itself.

Consider, for example, the mutual attraction and union between Earth and Sun. They awaken with the dawn of every new day. Earth lays naked before the naked Sun. Sun awakens and begins to rise as he adores his love. Earth slowly warms in the ascending presence of Sun's shining adoration. The more Sun rises, the more Earth warms. She wets with dew and opens to receive his penetrating warmth. He gladly caresses, kisses and penetrates. Their spirits, their joined breath is the wind. At the climax of noon, Sun releases his the fullness of his power into Earth. She rejoices, takes it in, conceives, and gives birth to all their children: glistening stones, plants, animals and all animate beings. Having released his power, Sun gradually descends and sets. Earth cools. They both, still together, rest and sleep in preparation for more erotic living and loving the next day.

By their daily erotic embrace, Earth and Sun sustain the spirit, the life, of all their children. All their children, flowers and trees, birds and bees, Jane and John, live erotic lives. They join, conceive, give birth, and make eternal life not a given but potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment