Friday, January 4, 2013

Spirit, Spirited, Spiritual

For the purposes of this blog, at this time-

"Spirit" is that which animates; it's breath, wind.

"Spirited" is animated, alive, breathing, windy.

"Spiritual" is of or related to spirit, that which animates, breath, wind.

These definitions are radical. They go to the root meanings of the words. The root meaning of "spirit" is breath, wind and not a ghost-like, non-physical double of our physical body.

These definitions are primitive and pre-Christian. They do not assume a dualistic view of reality in which there are two realms, the physical and spiritual. They do not assume that we humans are spirits trapped in physical bodies awaiting a liberating death.

Rather these definitions are monistic. They assume a unified reality. All is one, connected and interrelated. We humans are breathing, spirited bodies. Everyone is spirited too- all the other animals, plants, wind, earth, water, fire, sun, moon, stars-everyone.

Since we humans are spirited, we are spiritual. We are of or related to spirit, the breath that animates us. Everyone living is spiritual because everyone living breathes.

Try this experiment: Suspend your current belief if differs from what I wrote above. Look at everything as if it everything is animated, spirited, alive. Look at everything as being spiritual.

How does this spirited and spiritual world differ from your normal reality? Do you relate differently when everything physical in this world is spirited and spiritual?

4 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by what you've written here, however before I comment more fully, I find that I need to go back to some of your earlier blog entries and better understand your definitions and meanings of the word "spirit" and its derivatives. Without additional dialogue, your definition feel paradoxical to me--both expansive and restrictive. I will say more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, I always appreciate your insightful comments and look forward to your additional comments on this post. As you know, my thinking and writing about spirit is an ongoig, organic process far from finished. I do see advantages to my definitions being paradoxical, both expansive and restrictive at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am agree with you Mark: we each live in one interconnected reality, we are all alive, we are all spirited. I heard a reading from Thich Nhat Hanh's book "No Death, No Fear" this morning that expressed ideas so similar to your own and to mine about the nature of reality, of spirit, of how best to live in this one great life. Have you read it? Having heard this single quote, I will now checkout the book and re-read it (I first read it when my mother was dying in hospice care, more for my own comfort than hers).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica, while I have read most of Thich Nhat Hahn's books I have not read "No Death, No Fear" This is kind of odd since I have been doing hospice care for the last seven years. It's sitting on my bookshelf unread. I must read it sometime!

    ReplyDelete