Monday, September 15, 2014

Spirit-Centered Drinking, Part 4: Effect on Others

What effect does our drinking have on the spirits of others? Does it unnecessarily devalue, diminish, and deny the spirits and lives of others or does it help care for, support, and affirm their spirits and lives?  

Asking ourselves these questions might lead us to see that we can easily take for granted what we drink. We can drink mindless of the effect on others.

Asking these questions can lead us to understand that they are not easy questions to answer. Asking them can also inspire us to wonder and ask more questions.

I find it helpful to be specific. What effect does drinking this bottle of water have on others? My answers to this question differ from the ones I ask about drinking this cup of coffee, this cup of tea, and that shot of scotch.

Such questions can lead to me asking, "Where did this drink come from and how did it get to me?"

If I'm drinking bottled water, I can become aware of where it came from and how it got to me. When I do this I am amazed by the complex industrial matrix with which I connect when I take a sip from the bottle of water I hold in my hand. 

After I become aware of the matrix I'm in,  I can reflect on whether or not I want to remain in it or opt out for something more life-affirming for myself and others. If I choose to opt out, I can then explore my alternatives for the best life-affirming choice available to me at the time and take steps in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment